American flat track has announced their 2021 schedule. It starts in Florida, at Volusia on 12-13 March, and ends at Charlotte Half-Mile on 8 October. Our hot take...
No Daytona. Volusia takes its place during Bike Week.
AFT announced, on 9 December, there'd be a Sacramento Mile double-header in May, but it's not on the schedule. The only mention of anything west of Texas is a double-header in California TBC. Fingers crossed a promoter comes in. California went a long stretch without a race earlier this century, they don't want to fall off again.
Of the 15 confirmed races there are: 5 Miles; 7 Half-Miles; 2 TTs; 1 ST
There are four tracks the series hasn't visited for a while, or ever.
DuQuoin, a pea gravel mile, is back on for the first time since 2015.
Joliet half-mile, also in Illinois
Port Royal Speedway, PA, gets its first visit.
Atlanta Super TT is a new track too.
Illinois is the state to host the most races, five at four different venues.
If a California round can be staged the series will visit 13 venues in ten states.
The series regresses slightly, by having a six week break between Volusia and Atlanta. (they've got to be given a break for Covid, of course)
PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE AFT SCHEDULE
1. March 12: Volusia Half-Mile I - Volusia Speedway, Barberville, FL
2. March 13: Volusia Half-Mile II - Volusia Speedway, Barberville, FL
3. May 1: Atlanta Super TT - Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, GA
4. May 22: Texas Half-Mile - Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
5. May 29: Chicago Half-Mile - Dirt Oval Route 66, Joliet, IL
6. June 18: OKC Mile I - Remington Park, Oklahoma City, OK
7. June 19: OKC Mile II - Remington Park, Oklahoma City, OK
8. June 26: Lima Half-Mile - Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
9. July 17: DuQuoin Mile - DuQuoin Fairgrounds, DuQuoin, IL
10. July 24: Port Royal Half-Mile - Port Royal Speedway, Port Royal, PA
11. August 14: New York Short Track - Weedsport Speedway, Weedsport, NY
12. August 21: Peoria TT - Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, IL
13. September 4: Springfield Mile I - Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
14. September 5: Springfield Mile II - Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
15. September TBD: TBA Doubleheader I, California
16. September TBD: TBA Doubleheader II, California
17. October 8: Charlotte Half-Mile - Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC